Wednesday 14 March 2012

Primary investigation

Today I went and visited some cocktail bars on Call Lane in Leeds to get some insight into the signage that I am designing for as part of my gin brief. One visit that proved to be particularly valuable was Jake's Bar, which actually has its own micro distillery where they make their own brand of Gin that they sell on the premises. Jake's 'still room' is part of the Ginstitute which is a micro distillery above the Portabello star in west London (see this previous post). I picked up on this and was able to speak to the rep from the Portobello Star who consequently invited me back tomorrow for a Gin blending session tomorrow. It is a demonstration to a few of the local bar owners, where I will get to see how they blend the different ingredients to make their house gin.
Today I was able to sample their own gin, take a look at their other own brand bitters, and they showed me the still room with the distiller. They have one distiller at the entrance as decoration as well.

Photo's from Jake's Bar....

The lettering on the wall as you enter the bar is really incising. I like the idea of exploring how I can use textures and materials (i.e. wood, laminate, mirror) to bring my wall lettering to life.

They were kind enough to give me a menu and a bottle to take away...
The menu design is by Analogue. I like the pages facing the cocktail options which feature songs poems and illustrations that create the personality of the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment