Monday 19 March 2012

A Clockwork Orange


This is my design development for my first cover for 'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess - (I am aware of the typo on the authors name on the cover designs and will be changing it!).
The concept I liked most was the abstract drawing of a woman's crotch and fish net clad inner thighs. Sex is one of the strongest themes in the book, and the outfits of the women tend to be described as explicit. I also like the way that the black and white colours mirror the colours of their outfits.

I didn't want to mirror existing covers too much, many of which feature 60s/70s typographic styles. However, the novel was written in the 60s, and although it is set in a future dystopia, many of the visual elements in the story are very 60s in style. The style is not directly 60s, I feel that the type I have created is more of a 60's inspired modern hand drawn font.

Although I like the white and black colour scheme, I feel that there is too much white in my work and I need to try some other colours. I tried pink and I love the way that it clashes and makes the orange pop so much. However I'm not sure it was right. I have used the beige colour that I have used in some of the other covers and used that to create a central panel of colour.

I also tried out using a texture for the type which I like, although I think the text looses its impact a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment