Wednesday 14 March 2012

Bols Genever


Bols Genever is one of the oldest Dutch alcohols. It is classed as a 'Genever' which is a Dutch version of gin, which is what gin actually evolved from. I hadn't come accross it in my inital research, perhaps because of the fact that it is not classed specifically as a gin. What I am intersted in is it's recent re-branding. Their are clear similarities to the style of the lettering that I have created and that have been used for Bols Genever. However, mine differs in the way that it has a hand rendered aesthetic, which is a decision that I am pleased with.


The way that the Bold Genever branding is applied to a range of products is what I am interested in my own work. I like this cask ale style barrel, and this could be achieved through laser cutting.





I like the way that the type sprawls across the bottle quite organically, rather than the label appearing to sit on the bottle. I had already contemplated this design aspect and am going to try out printing onto clear sticky vinyl so I can stick the lettering directly onto the bottle.



The house gin will be sold both behind the bar, and as a take-away product that people can take home or potentially buy in shops. I like this packaging and the idea of a set being part of the full product.


Photographing the logo on a window is a good way of bringing the brand to life. 



I think that this illustration of the evolution of the bottle is really interesting, especially the older shaped bottles. From my research speaking to bar tenders, I have found that customers tend to be drawn to unusual shaped bottles such as Hendrix out of curiosity. I am going to trawl some charity shops in search of an unusual shaped bottle for the house gin.



No comments:

Post a Comment