Friday 20 January 2012

Design development

Initial sketches for poster/flyer design 
These were my initial ideas as to what I could do with this brief. There is quite a lot of information to be communicated, and although this is less of a problem for the poster layout, this will be more of a challenge to solve with the poster layout. I decided to go for a hand rendered aesthetic to in keep with the bohemian student atmosphere of the club which is known for hosting an array of indie nights and providing a meeting place for the less traditional societies. This film night is no exception to the trend. 
I had two ideas that I felt were particularly appropriate. My first ideas was to incorporate an illustration of a pop corn bucket with some illustrated type. My second - which I ended up going with- was an illustration of a traditional analogue film reel, folded in a way that allows it to provide space for some type across it detailing the information about the event. At first I worked with monochromatic colour palettes to fit with the old fashioned black and white film theme, experimenting with some other colour momentarily, but reverting back to the original colours. It wasn't until I had experimented with the layout some more that I decided that the colour helped to make the text pop out and brought it up to date with the culture of the audience. I changed the red text of the "future shorts" logo to a pastel colour as I felt that the red no longer worked. The brief does not specify that I have to use the exact colour of the logo, and from my research I have found that other posters for these future short nights the designers have altered the colour. 



I then changed the secondary information from white to black and made the background grey lighter to enable the type to stand out more. I also shrunk this text as small as I could possibly get away with so that the white space around the letters would help it to pop, as when it was larger it looked a little to complicated and confusing. I think that now the hierarchy is correct.


Print out evaluations to determine correct scale :




No comments:

Post a Comment