Tuesday 29 May 2012

GIN JOINT BOARDS





Applied custom lettering and typeface design for print and surface application.
This brief started as an idea that I got very excited about, then became slightly apprehensive. The main drive behind this brief was my love for gin and a genuine interest in it's history. Once I had got started with the brief, I started to worry that I wasn't  sure how I was going create the vision I had in my head. The brief built momentum again when I really started to consider the overall atmosphere of of the bar, rather than just the smaller details such as bar accessories and menu's. I think that the addition of the interior and exterior illustrations really brought the project to life. Had I used photographs I think that the mock ups would have looked lazy and not very considered. The style I used for the illustrations successfully reflects the full experience of the bar, rather than simply being a contextual reference. Another element I was particularly pleased with was the addition of an animated e-vite. I really enjoyed the motion graphic module in second year, and I especially enjoy storyboarding an idea. I think that this was a good edition to the brief as it introduced a digital element. One thing I think was less successful was the range of type I created. One issue that was raised earlier on in the brief was that there were two many styles of type. I evaluated this issue and decided that I felt that while there were three differing styles, they were never intended to really be used side by side so therefore it wouldn't be an issue. However on reflection, I think that the secondary typeface could be toned down somewhat to allow the primary typeface to sing out more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment