Friday 13 April 2012

Type face - Live brief

I got a live brief through off the back of a piece of work I did on my placement at Jelly. The brief is to create a usable typeface for the credits on a short film for a 3rd year DFGA student. There is also the possibility of selling them the font as part of their personal identity.

The type he picked out form my website was the word 'celebrating' seen here below :

The reason I wanted to collaborate on this brief is that I have not yet made a full usable font on Fontographer so would like to gain this experience whilst I can still seek help from tutors and have the time to experiment with new software.

The typeface is based on Gil Sans and is completely hand drawn. The client specifically wants a hand drawn aesthetic which is why he is opting for a customised font rather than using a standard one.


I found a good tutorial to start me off. At first I found the software quite frustrating but as I got going it became easier.


Getting to grips with kerning certain pairs of letters :





























No comments:

Post a Comment