Saturday 28 April 2012

Colour palette development

I wanted to create a more restricted colour palette for the post card designs as I feel so far my colour choices, even where they have worked successfully, have not been very considered. I want the overal colour theme to represent that of the british flag. On the main british isles print, there is such a vast volume of words that it can hold a lot of colours such as pinks and purples, without loosing the overall strength of the reds and blue's. However, with the postcards, there is only colour choice for the words and one for the background so the colour choices need to be more considered.
As a starting point I found an interesting image of a british flag to work with and create a basic palette. I chose this image because it contains some purples as well.
I found another image that I think contains colours that I think could work...


...and developed this palette. The square size is relative to the ratio of that colour that can be used within the overal set of cards in order to maintain the right volume of the main red and blue colours.
I like this visual tool and think I could include it on the accompanying prints.












No comments:

Post a Comment